Photo: Getty Images/Dowell
We all know the gym is crowded right now with people trying to keep with their New Year's resolution to get healthy. But there are some parts about going to the gym that really isn't good for you, and it's all the germs that you're being exposed to that can make you sick
So where are the dirtiest spots at the gy that could make you sick? 24/7 Wall Street has come out with a list of some of the places you might want to avoid at the gym. Get your liquid sanitizer ready.
Some of the dirtiest spots in the gym include (click herefor the complete list):
- Yoga Mats– There’s a pretty good chance nobody wiped down that mat after their sweat session, and there’s a good chance they’re spreading germs, viruses, and bacteria.
- Strength-training equipment– These are particularly dirty, with one report claiming weights have 362-times more bacteria than a toilet seat.
- Swimming pools– Yes they contain disinfectants to clean contaminants, but one study suggests they still are 2.4 times more likely to contain gene-altering agents than tap water.
- Cardio machine screens and handles –They are among the most used machines, and probably the least likely to be wiped down. In fact, the average treadmill contains 74 times more bacteria than a public bathroom faucet.
- Exercise balls– Another highly germ-filled surface, with one study saying it was the most common surface to carry a strain of staph bacteria called S. aureus.
- Water fountains– With people sitting in them there’s bound to be infectious mucus in the bowl, plus, the rim and handles are touched by lots of contaminated hands.
- Shower floors– Unless you want to catch a fungal infection like athlete’s foot, wear those flip-flops in the shower.
- Handles at workout stations– By grabbing those you’re likely to be touching all the sweat others have wiped off their bodies.
- Door handles– Pretty much everyone has to open the door of their gym, which means they are touching everyone else’s germs.
- Gym bags– Unless you are good about cleaning out your gym bag right away, there’s a good chance all your gross is just festering in there, which could lead to fungal infections, especially since your moist clothing is perfect for growing fungi and other bacteria.